The Stinger

The Stinger Vol. 42 No.4 February 2002

Black History Month; Forest Hills Holds 5th Annual Black History Program

The Forest Hills Quest Team will hold its fifth annual Black History Program. The club is under the supervision of faculty sponsor Ms. Chianti Hamiliton. This year the Black History Program is going to be completely different from the normalities of past years. The event will be formal banquet, which will contain various entertainment acts from the local area. This celebration will take place on Saturday evening, February 16, in the Forest Hills High School cafeteria. The banquet will begin at 6:30 and end at approximately 8:30. The program will begin with a tribute to the late Ebony Raley. Darrius Burris and many others will be performing the song “One Sweet Day”, by Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men. Afterward, the Quest Team will present a bouquet of roses to the Raley family in honor of and in dedication to the Ebony Raley Scholarship fund. The fund was set up in remembrance of the fellow student. At the present time, it is undecided who will be eligible to receive this scholarship, but the requirements will be determined in the near future. Flint Ridge Baptist Church’s Praise team, sponsored by senior Samantha Ferrara, Will also be in attendance. The Praise Team will provide musical and dramatic entertainment. A slide show was created by quest members Whitney McGee, Candice Marsh, and Trinette Lewis. The presentation will include a number of African American people who have influenced our society in many different ways. Some of the featured African American historical heroes will be Martin Luther King Jr., Muhammad Ali, Maya Angelou, and Rosa Parks. “Many people would agree that our society and nation as a whole has come a long way, but there are many more obstacles that we will have to face in the future,” commented junior Chloe Poston. The Black History Program is open to all students, teachers, and community members. Senior Candice Marsh stated, “The purpose of this program is to educate the surrounding community about life in the African American culture.” The tickets for the program will be sold by Quest Team members at a cost of six dollars each.