The Stinger

Filed under Features

Courageous Collier

An update on Matthew Collier

Our adviser, Matthew Collier, was diagnosed with T-cell lymphoblastic lymphoma on Feb. 22, 2019. Lymphoblastic lymphoma is an aggressive and rare form of non-Hodgkin lymphoma. It accounts for only two percent of all non-Hodgkin lymphomas which shows how rare his form actually is. Lymphoblastic lymphoma causes fatigue, weight loss, night sweats, and unexplained fevers. Collier began his treatment for this cancer the evening he found out he had it.

Photo credits to Georgia Plue

Since that dreadful day, Collier has undergone many treatments and stays in the hospital the majority of the time. On Feb. 26, Collier and his family received the good news when his pet scans came back and the tumor on his chest had shrunk from from 10×15 centimeters to 4×6 centimeters. The spot on his pancreas also looks smaller. The treatments are definitely taking a toll on him physically, but the results go to show how well it is working.

Because of the treatments, Collier has been feeling very tired and out of energy lately. He has also been unable to go home because of the lack of immunity that comes with having any cancer. However, on March 10, Collier got the chance to go home for a few days for the first time in two weeks after he finished his first round of treatment. It was also the first time he got to see his daughters in those weeks. He described the bittersweet moment as, “Seeing the girls for the first time in over two weeks was overwhelming, overstimulating, and some of the best medicine.” Despite the sweet moment shared with his children, Collier still faced the negative effects that come with the treatment, which is weight loss and hair loss, the latter resulted in him shaving off his hair.

March 19 was the first day Collier went back to his treatments. He stayed in the hospital for four to five days and then he was released to go back home for a few more days.

Recently, as of March 29, Lisa Collier, Matthew Collier’s wife, gave the update that some things have popped up that could have been avoided. These resulted in no major setbacks, only small ones that cause discomfort, side effects, and extra treatment. Collier still has a long road of treatments ahead of him, but friends, family, and colleagues continue to support him everyday and they hold on to the hope that he will be back to the old, goofy Collier in no time.

For more information on Lymphoblastic Lymphoma, visit the following links:

About the Writer
Ava Greene, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Ava Greene is a sophomore at FHHS. This is her third time being on the Stinger Staff. She is currently serving as Co-Editor-in-Chief, and in the past has...