Life After High School

Do you ever find yourself wondering what the future holds, if you will find success? If so then you are not alone. Many high school students are under constant pressure to decide what they want their future to hold. Students feel that not having a plan sets them up for failure. It can be intimidating when everyone around you seems to have a plan except for you.

The modern day education system sets immense pressure on students to be successful in a competitive college and career market. Students load themselves down with the heaviest course load possible, multiple clubs, sports, community service, and other activities in hopes of getting an acceptance letter into their dream collage. When spending all your time working and stressing over school, you lose your youth in a blink of an eye. Often times students don’t have time to be carefree and have fun. In fact they are forced to be more like adults everyday.

Students are put under a lot of stress to know what they want to do in the future. For many students, those plans include college or going straight into the workforce. Many times students do not know what kind of career they want which can make it very hard for them to decide on a major in college, or on a career path.

Starting in elementary school children are asked by adults what they want to do when they grow up. That is a lot of pressure to put on a small child when they may not even have a clear idea of what possible careers are, besides the obvious answers that will please adults such as, doctor, veterinarian, or teacher. This trend often continues through middle school, with more pressure from adults. Then it all really hits in high school when you are expected to choose a cluster of classes that fit with the pathway you choose in life. You are expected to stick to this cluster of classes even if you are not interested in the careers they could lead to. This leads to immense stress on students, and the feeling that they are not doing enough to prepare for their future, if they are still undecided.

Society needs to learn that, putting this much pressure on children is not appropriate. “What do you want to do when you grow up?” is not an appropriate ice breaker question. Adults should try asking children and teenagers what kind of things that interest them and encourage them to find something that gives them satisfaction not just a big paycheck or the security of a cushy corporate job.

The most important things for students to know is that it is okay to say you do not know what you want to do in the future. Many of the jobs that will one day be available have not even been thought of yet. Therefore, it is perfectly okay not to know what the future holds for you. The best things in life are unplanned, just see where life takes you.